Sunday, March 20, 2011

Could this be the Law Of Attraction?

If you were born in the 70s, you would surely know the popular movie 'The Sinking Of Japan' where a huge tsunami came and wiped the country off the map. Ultraman cartoons are always portraying monsters who came and ripped off nuclear power stations, sending people running helter-skelter.

That's not all; the Japanese government are world leaders in disaster management: every year, they send experts to tsunami and earthquake prone areas to provide training to children and populations on what to do in the event of a natural disaster. Huge amounts of government money are spent in these goodwill missions to share their knowledge and experience, as a country highly vulnerable to natural disasters themself.

Yet it seems like nothing could have prepared them for what is happening at this moment in time in Japan. My heart goes out to the people of Japan, who after being hit by earthquakes, tsunamis and nuclear power plant disasters, are now faced with snow and biting-cold weather. I pray it will be over soon, in one way or another. This is surely the greatest test of human resilence in the history of mankind. Makes me wonder if any other country would have managed the situation as well if it had happened anywhere else on this planet.

What hits me as the biggest irony is that this is what every Japanese had been trained for, all their lives. They are primed for natural disaster. They expect it. They knew it was coming.

With an entire population expecting this to happen, would it have garnered enough momentum to get the Universe to set it in motion? It really didn't matter whether your thoughts are positive or negative- but once you have it in mind, you have given it the possibility (however remote) of coming true somehow. With monthly tsunami drills, nuclear power disasters-inspired cartoons, even a blockbuster movie about the country being wiped off the map and sinking under the sea, it's almost as though they had unconsciously 'thought' it into reality.

It's scary to know powerful the human mind really is. I remember going to Pangkor Laut Resort last year for a 3-day trip with my battery-loaded camera. On the luxurious yatch enroute the island, my sponsor asked if I brought my camera charger, and I'd confidently replied that my battery could safely last for the next 3 days.

"Are you sure?" she'd asked skeptically. Her concern drove into my bones, as a tiny voice whispered to me that perhaps she was right. My battery usually lasts for 3 days, no doubt about it, I nervously said. But deep down, I had started to share her fear.

True enough, my camera charger died after the second night, something which I'd not expected. I came up with various excuses when I had to switch from my SLR  to a compact on the last day. The experience left me shaken- when two strong-minded people thought of something (the possibility of my battery running flat), it had actually happened.

Chance, you say? Possibly. But what if it was not? Could we have possibly 'attracted' the battery to die on me?

We'll never know...but this I know for certain - one should never underestimate the power of Thought. This is what they call Personal Mastery: controlling the way you think because your thoughts define your action,and your action determines your destiny.

What are you thinking about today?



No comments:

Post a Comment